- City population:77,198
- City/Urban area:36
- Population Density:More than 500 inhabitants per km²
- GDP – city:Between $10,000 and $15,000
- GDP - country:USD 13,467
- Average number of years of schooling:13.9
Villa María, Argentina
Gender equality and universal literacy rates
Villa María is a vibrant city of 88,600 inhabitants. Its rich agricultural land makes Villa María the leader in terms of milk production in Argentina, but this is not the only asset of the city. It is indeed well known across the whole country for its educational institutions, including the Universidad Nacional Villa María.
Vision and motivation
Villa María’s vision is to promote sustainable personal and social development. The city tries to bring its infrastructure together with its vast human resources for the purpose of socioeconomic and cultural development. The city understands that citizen participation in non-formal learning needs to be recognized, validated and accredited. Linking the education system and labor market is also a motivator.
Challenges and goals
Villa María tries to provide better lifelong learning opportunities for all in the following areas.
- Adult illiteracy
- Inclusive learning
- Learning in families and communities
Plan and implementation
Villa María is developing an array of tools to overcome obstacles to its social, cultural and economic expansion.
As part of the plan to build a sustainable city, Villa María will:
- create new spaces for civic participation;
- promote public events and citizens’ access to the city’s cultural assets;
- intensify actions among municipal secretariats to guarantee citizens access to education, health care and cultural activities;
- integrate efforts into local policies pertaining to social matters, education, culture, health care and productivity;
- systematize the various projects that have been developed with the aim of generating knowledge;
- organize scientific and cultural events centred on education, early-years education, youth and adult education, and road-safety education.
UIL is not responsible for the content of this city profile.